The other day I wrote about the following thirteen Awesome qualities, as follows:
I’m going to kick-start a project of mine sometime soon that will be incorporating all of these qualities into my life, and bettering myself. Somehow, someway, I will be tracking each of these individually. Perhaps I’ll do it Gretchen Rubin-style (i.e. one a month), or maybe I’ll have my own way. Either way, I’ll have a big kick-off next week listing each of these goals, where I’m at now, and how I plan on tracking them. Before I do so, I’m just going to write some initial thoughts on what I plan on doing.
What’s Wrong With Me Right Now?
Look, there’s nothing technically wrong with me. I am happy – enough. I can rhyme off why my life is so great. In fact, here’s a list right now.
- I’ve got a job that’s fairly well-paid.
- My job gives me a great work-life balance.
- I’m in a steady relationship.
- I’ve got lots of good friends I can rely on for advice, and laughs.
- I’ve got a loving family.
- I’ve got a roof over my head.
So what’s wrong here? Well, I feel there are several things on my “long-term goal” list that I can’t manage to get off the ground. There are also some nagging issues that I just can’t shake.
What Can Be Improved
- Money management.
- I want to be a better boyfriend.
- I want to be a mentor.
- I want to be more involved in the community.
- I want a real hobby and a passion outside of work.
- I want to define my own path.
- I want to wake up earlier during the week.
- I want to do more on weekends (work, and play).
- I talk too much when in a group – I want to listen more.
- I want to have more responsibility at work.
- I want to start a small general contracting business on my own.
- I want to renovate certain areas of our house.
So the list goes on.
Can I do this in a year? Maybe.
Do I need to? Not really. However, I’m 26, and I want to start paving my own way. I’m three years out of school, and I feel like my sixteen year old self would hit me right now.
I don’t want to define time limits, however I want to be on the right path with these goals with measurable, quantitative increases of the thirteen qualities. I will achieve each of my long-term goals if I am Awesome in the thirteen characteristics.
How Will I Track These Goals?
As I said, I really don’t want to put any real time limits on these goals. But, there needs to be a way to measure each of these quantitatively. But what I need to do is break down each of the characteristics.
Character Trait A
- What is it? Define it.
- Break it down further, what actions do one need to take to have that characteristic.
- Be more specific. What do I need to do to have that characteristic?
- Where am I now? Where do I need to go? Break it down further.
- What habits can I take every day to achieve this characteristic?
See where I’m going with this? I just want to be able to find out where I am, and what I need to do to achieve my goals – all while tracking this.
Why Am I Doing This?
Like I said, there’s nothing technically wrong with me. But there are certain things that nag me every day that deal with the bigger picture. I want to be a better, more Awesome person. It would be my dream to start a community of like-minded people that are all trying to achieve certain goals in their life, but I won’t get to ahead of myself – let’s start with me for now.
I will continue to post inspirational messages, and to create guides for various aspects of your life, but this will be the guiding hand on this blog for the next while. Stay tuned, and enjoy.